Mallorca (Part X) – Photography Focus 3: Favourite Shots
A super-season of Mallorca posts closes with a collection of some of my favourite photographs of the bunch. Consistent with the photographs posted with my 9 previous Mallorca posts, these shots are characterised by the indefatigable spread of resplendent colour across the island, by the elegant historical streets of Palma and by the luscious coastal scenery. They exude the caressing warmth of an early summer’s sunshine, creating complex images interlaced with delicate shadows which add a second dimension to the subject captured; they are a manifestation of the tradition and charm which is inherent within every narrow street or cracking green shutter, in the ritualistic Easter parades, and the dominating influence of religious ideals; and they are a an assemblage of now cherished memories, tastes and sensations, collected together for prosperity.
From lush cacti by the dazzling Mediterranean sea and sundrenched geraniums in a picturesque patio garden, to the perfectly geometric classical architecture of the Cathedral and the palaces of Palma, to sunsets, and plant pots and fountains and street furniture, these are the details of Mallorca which caught my eye, small hidden gems which can so often be lost in the spread of a wider landscape or ignored by comparison with the grand spectacles on offer all around: Art in themselves, but made all the more desirable within the carefully measured composition of a photograph. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did taking them.
Thanks to everyone who followed my Mallorca trip on the Daily Norm. For now, it’s back to England, the land of the Norms who are surely due a post or two. But coming soon not too long down the line: Provence. See you then!
All photos and written content are strictly the copyright of Nicholas de Lacy-Brown © 2013 and The Daily Norm. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of the material, whether written work, photography or artwork, included within The Daily Norm without express and written permission from The Daily Norm’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
- Mallorca (Part I) – Day 1: Banoffee bienvenido back to the good life (daily-norm.com)
- Mallorca (Part II) – Photography Focus 1: Semana Santa (daily-norm.com)
- Mallorca (Part III) – Day 2: Port d’Andratx and Es Baluard (daily-norm.com)
- Mallorca (Part V) – Day 3: Moorish Mallorca and the Sóller Ferrocarril (daily-norm.com)
- Mallorca (Part VI) – Food Focus 2: Simply Fosh (daily-norm.com)
- Mallorca (Part VII) – Day 4: Palma, city of art (daily-norm.com)
- Mallorca (Part VIII) – Photography Focus 2: Modernista Architecture (daily-norm.com)
- Mallorca (Part IX) – Day 5: Picture-Perfect Pollença (daily-norm.com)